I’ve been struggling with anxiety and depression for weeks, labeling it as situational and/or blaming it on my annual Seasonal Affective Disorder.
But now, thanks to the power of the meme, I have a whole new outlook! My emotional despair is due to all the assholes around me! Let’s list them, shall we?
- The American voting public
- The president elect
- His band of xenophobic cabinet and advisers
- The equally hateful majority in Congress
- My direct supervisor, who has become a master of prevarication and of avoiding communication
- Certain members of the governing body of our church, who are not particularly dedicated yet have created policies that completely screwed loyal, long-time employees
- Okay, this one’s not an asshole, but he’s definitely a very significant contributor to my emotional state: The member of my immediate family whose symptoms due to his diagnoses create constant stress.
All joking aside, I understand that blaming others for my own problems is a slippery slope. My
addiction to navel-gazing intense introspective skills have helped me see my own part of the mess, and I’ve been deliberately engaging in shitloads of self-care as a defense.
But seriously, there’s only so much we can do when we’re drowning in assholes.